Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Inspiration

So I’ve been sadly lacking for inspiration to train, but perhaps I finally did something inspirational. Before my wife left for Spain in the beginning of the summer, she had sent to my office as a surprise a 3 poster set of the Ironman World Championships in Kona. Well it took me 3.5 months, but I finally got the posters framed and hung in my office. Now when I walk into my office, I am reminded of the athlete I once was and how it would be nice to get back into that sort of shape.

On the night that I hung up the posters, I had my first desire in a while to get on my bike. It was only 45 minutes in my basement, but it was a start. I backed that up with another 1 hour ride this morning and then a 4000 yard swim this afternoon. My first double workout day in quite some time.

What it is though, is that I need something in my life beyond training. I need a closer and warmer relationship with my wife. The closeness I have with my children is great, but I am left feeling empty and lacking for adult companionship. My training took away that loss for quite some time, but 5 years into my training, I find myself wanting more. I just don’t know how to get it. Maybe as I walk into my office everyday, I’ll see those posters and the fire to be the best triathlete I can possibly be will come back. Training hard makes you too tired to care about anything else or at least makes you forget what you are lacking in other areas for a while.

Tomorrow I am going to do the Turkey Trot in Prospect Park with my friend Larry and his family. At least the one thing I have through my training is a network of friends that I can share my experiences with.

2 comments:

Members of the Data Revolution said...

I hear you. I go back and forth between wondering if endurance sports are my passion or an excuse not to find one.

Unknown said...

Does she read this? Perhaps you should tell her... It's a start.